Monday, August 20, 2012

Kant Comics: 1 of 5

Kaliningrad's main claim to fame is that Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) was born there and taught at its university into his old age, putting the city (then Königsberg) on the map of the European Enlightenment. I am not a philosopher, and I have been informed by various people and book introductions that Kant is one of the most important and relevant Enlightenment thinkers, and also one of the hardest to understand. Having made some forays into his work, I can confirm both of those points.

Kant is clearly a monumental figure in Kaliningrad today (the university is named after him), and while questions of his relevance to the city's current identity are perhaps better left until I get there, I suspect I have an obligation to understand the basic tenets of his thought. As I have been wading through his very dense chapters and the slightly less dense explanations of those chapters written by people who seem only marginally more able to express an idea clearly in words, I have found that the best way to make sense out of it is by distilling my copious notes and then distilling them again. The result is gold label 80 proof Kant.

Because I'm bored and cooped up all day, this seemed like a good time and source material to jump on a project idea that I've been toying with for a while. I present to you the first of five forthcoming Kant Comics, starring myself and trusty Immanuel, with special guest appearances by other stars of the Enlightenment.

Philosophy is very serious.


To enlarge, right click on the picture, select either 'open link in new tab' or 'view image', and then you should be able to zoom in and read the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Leave me a message after the beep.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.